Aug 27, 2009

My new bass!


I loved the bass I've been using since I started playing the bass in Lo-Fi.

It was a Bacchus "Impression"
model from 2005. It was a 5 string active bass with Jazz Bass pickups on it. The controls gave me cut/boost in 3channels, it had great playability and a nice fat sound.

But.....

Recently I finally found the guts to pick out a bass that sounded... more like me. So I went out to the city and went around to my favorite instrument stores to find the "one". I had absolutely no confidence I was ever going to find the right bass.

Here are some stores I checked out:

I really really like the Atelier Z basses use by Chrisitan Mcbride and many more great bassists.
(btw Chrisitan Mcbride is my favorite bassist!!!!)

But by chance I happened to play a very very special bass at the "Freaks Market" in
Ochanomizu. I wasn't even looking for a bass that day... I was looking for a strobe tuner (used) that I could use... this one is great. I really recommend it from the videos I've seen about it.
Anyway, I had a good friend use a Lakland and I've heard the sound but never had the chance to really play one. Since the Freaks Market had the largest selection of LAKLAND basses in Tokyo I decided to play one while I was there.

Since I was using a 5-string, I was looking for another 5 string bass... I tried a Deluxe Lakland 5 string (USA build) and all were pretty cool, but I liked the ones with the new LAKLAND pickups (the old ones are Bartolini).

While the store clerk was getting me another 5-string from storage (it just arrived), he handed me a four string to try out.

And that's how I met my current bass. Playing a few notes I just thought... WOW.
I tried playing a couple of more basses to compare, but none really had the incredible punch
that the 4-string standard LAKLAND had.
The electronics on it are active, and it has a switch standard to all
LAKLANDs where you can change the bridge pickup from humbucker to single (forward position and bridge position) and a mix nob for the neck single and bridge pickup. Well I can't explain it very well so check out this link. http://www.lakland.com/4-94.htm

I've recorded the later half of the new Lo-Fi album on this bass and I gotta say it sounds great so I might go back and re-record some of the Bacchus bass lines I recorded before.

It's my main bass right now after trading in the Bacchus and my fretless. I'm gonna be taking it to my gigs overseas and so on the plane, but I think especially since it's not like a vintage bass it'll do fine.
Come check out our gigs and hear the sound live. I play it through a Markbass/Epifani-cab rig.
We'll be playing live in Sendai and Osaka, Japan in Oct, and in Hong Kong in November.

Will update more info about these gigs soon!

No comments: